Virginia's private colleges and universities have a long and distinguished tradition of excellence and a nationwide reputation for quality. The 29 member colleges of the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia (CICV) have played a vital role in developing the state's tradition of academic excellence.
Virginia's 29 private colleges are extremely diverse. They include:
- single sex and coeducational institutions
- historically black colleges
- highly selective institutions
- institutions which serve the average college-bound student
- graduate and professional schools
Private colleges in Virginia provide a wide variety of academic programs
in supportive environments with excellent facilities. They offer many advantages
and are more affordable
than you might think.
- They offer outstanding faculty, small classes, and extensive interaction between professors and students. At Virginia's private colleges, the top priority of the faculty is teaching rather than individual research.
- There are also many opportunities for extracurricular activities and leadership development, and all colleges make available a wide range of academic support services.
- Virginia's private colleges send a large percentage of students on to graduate and professional school, and job-seeking students have remarkable success in securing career-related employment after graduation.
Virginia private colleges have a presence in every region of the state
, including several cities that do not have a 4-year public college (Roanoke, Lynchburg, Winchester, and Danville).
to learn more about our Virginia private colleges and universities.